By Lizaveta MERLIAK
November, 25 is the World Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women. Every year from November 25 to December 10 it is “16 Days of Activism against Violence against Women” held in the world.
In this regard, the Women network of the Belarusian Congress of Democratic Trade Unions and its affiliates from Salihorsk, Polotsk, Novopolotsk, Brest, Grodno, Bobruisk together with their sisters of Network Women FNV from the Netherlands; the Turkish trade union confederation DISK, its women’s network of Genel Is; OFSAF, the Women’s Network of the union FNSA from Morocco; CODEMUH, a women workers collective organizing women workers in the garment sector in Honduras; CEADEL, an organization organizing women workers in the garment sector in Guatemala, and RMS, an organization organizing women workers in the garment sector and domestic workers in Mexico today and the next 16 days will hold solidarity actions, meetings of women’s networks and other events, conferences, promotions in the workplace, so that together again to declare that:
- Violence against women and girls can and should be eradicated!
- Violence against women is a violation of human rights.
- Violence against women is a consequence of discrimination against women in law and in practice, as well as a consequence of the continuing inequalities between men and women.
- Violence against women affects the progress and makes it difficult in many areas, including poverty eradication, combating HIV / AIDS, and strengthening peace and security.
- Violence against women remains a global pandemic
The idea for this attribute came from the solidarity action taken by the Independent trade union of miners at JSC Belaruskali, when the activists were greeting the negotiation team for the Collective Agreement Bargaining in March, 2015.
The slogan for this network solidarity campaign is: “International Solidarity opens the door for the day of tomorrow. Together we are strong!”
The solidarity campaign was agreed on during an international women workers exchange in the Netherlands earlier this November.
Here are some pictures from the affiliates of this network from Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Morocco, the Netherlands and Turkey of today’s actions: